Sunday, 13 March 2016

Term 1, Week 7

This week we have finally found a rotation that works. After spending many hours researching, trialling, rewriting and making a lot of activities, we have sorted out a routine that will work for the rest of this term.

Students have been buddied up (my choice) based on reading level. In pairs, they spend ten minutes at a station and then move on to the next. When we first started this, there was confusion about what was next, and issues where students were unable to read what the next station is called. Today, we numbered them so that students work from numbers 1-11 and cycle around. Some of the activities were chosen by the students and some were chosen by pinterest. At this stage, this is working. I feel like we are finally getting somewhere with "actual teaching".

Target student progress has been slow. With the group of students that I have, there have been A LOT of behavioural issues to counteract before any (what I call) proper teaching could happen. Behaviour seems to be calming down a lot, which makes for a more peaceful, happier classroom.

Today we finished our maths testing for term one which has revealed some very disappointing results. I have four students who are working at Stage 1, while the majority of the class is working on Stage 2 or 3. This is very hard for me, as I am unsure what activities or teaching I need to do with students who are this low. I guess some more research awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment