Article
The above article has recently been penned by the Finnish Board of Education's Head of Curriculum Development. It outlines a lot of what I believe to be extremely valuable ways of presenting learning and learning goals to our students.
The biggest idea that I like in this reform is that students are encouraged to have greater control and a greater say over their learning and the things they are learning about. While this is a massive process (growing independence takes time) the idea is right in line with how I believe my classroom should work.
If you know me, you'll know that I think Finland have some fantastic ideas that we should be modelling off (rather than a failing educational system like America that we seem to favour). We should be encouraging independence, teaching research skills and questioning skills and allowing our students to "take the reins" for their own learning instead of dictating what our students will be learning and how they will be learning it. It is hard to let go of "control" this much, as a teacher but in the end it is well worth it.
I think we should be taking more leaves out of Finland's book and making some positive changes for our students and their futures.
No comments:
Post a Comment